Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First day after chemo

Last night I felt a little buzzed. Anticipatory anxiety, and prednisone. Slept so so, needed a little help.

This morning I feel fine. Energetic, although I am taking it easy, no buzz and no nausea. Took all my meds and they seem to sit well. So I feel pretty good about the whole process.

The chemo cycle is sort of like this - I'm on a 3 week cycle.

First day, first few days: Infusion - nausea and possible reactions. You are given meds that kill off fast growing cell (like cancer cells), and steroids to combat reactions to such toxins and anti nausea/vomiting drugs for the first few days.

As the week progresses and into the 2nd, third week: Wait for the stuff to work - fast growing cells die off, so your blood counts drop, mouth linings shed, and of course hair stops growing and falls. Tired, maybe depressed and achy. hopefully killing off any nasty cancer cells, too but this is when you are most susceptible to infection.

During the third week you are no doubt feeling better, just in time for the next chemo!

So we will see how I fit this profile. One small benefit- the steroids are making my arthritic knee feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment